Be an Informed Puppy Buyer Important questions to ask…
Preservation Bernese Mountain Dog or Poodle breeders will not allow their dogs to be crossbred. Therefore, the dogs generally used to breed doodles are of unknown quality or heritage. A Bernese Mountain Dog should be sturdy and balanced. He should be strong, intelligent and agile. A Bernese Mountain Dog should be able to work all day, as per the breed standard. A reputable breeder will work to put titles on their breeding stock in conformation or working events. Those titles indicate that their dogs have met the breed standard and excelled in the conformation ring or at working events. Reputable breeders do BMDCA-recommended health and genetic testing prior to any breeding to make the optimal match and produce the best qualities of a Bernese Mountain Dog. The crossbred dogs can be prone to the genetic diseases of both breeds and offer none of the advantages that owning a purebred dog has to offer.
The Bernese Mountain Dog Club of America and the Bernese Mountain Dog Club of Northeastern Illinois is opposed to the deliberate crossing of Bernese Mountain Dogs with any other breed!
- What genetic screening/testing do you routinely perform on ALL of your breeding stock?
- How long have you been a breeder?
- Do you breed other breeds? Which ones?
- Are you a member of any Dog Clubs?
- How many litters do you have a year?
- Do you show your dogs and what other certifications do they have?
- Do you temperament test your puppies before placing them?
- Will you take the dog back/help find another home for it if for some reason in the future I can no longer look after it?
- Do you require spaying/neutering?
- What Health Clearances/procedures to you require from puppy buyers?
- What Guarantees are given under the written contract?
- May I have a copy of your contract to review?
- Do you have any puppies or will you have any in the future?
- Do you have the parents on site? Can I see them?
- How old are the mother and father of this litter?
- Are there any special health problems I might need to watch for in this particular breeding?
- How much does a non-show or show quality puppy cost?
- What are the parent’s temperaments and personalities like?
- Where were the puppies raised? How have you socialized them?
- What is the likelihood that I might be able to get a puppy from this litter?
- After receiving my contract, how and when do you notify me if I am on your approved list?
- What do I have to do to reserve a puppy and do you need a deposit?
- If I place a deposit with you, under what conditions will/can my deposit be returned?
Useful Chart to help keep your records in order…
PHONE #________________________ LITTER DUE_____________________
Hip OFA #/Rating________________________________________________
Elbow OFA #/Rating______________________________________________
Eye Cerf #/Rating________________________________________________
Heart OFA #/Rating______________________________________________
Von Willebrand #/Rating__________________________________________
Hip OFA #/Rating_______________________________________________
Elbow OFA #/Rating_____________________________________________
Eye Cerf #/Rating_______________________________________________
Heart OFA #/Rating_____________________________________________
Von Willebrand #/Rating_________________________________________